Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They used to do that with trailers (single and double wides) I usually found that they became a great hammock for every critter that found it's way into the underside of the home. It's not like trailers have a long bright future so it was an easy and cheap solution that kinda outlived the trailer, least till a critter tore it apart.

If you have insulation currently installed and it is "faced" has paper on one side (it should be paper side up towards the floor, then NO in no way whatsoever install a poly barrier to the underside of the floor joists, besides making a home for critters you will create the perfect storm for moisture damage.
    I have not seen anyone installing poly like that in a looooong time (doubt it would pass code nowadays anyway), the problems I can think of from it are numerous, from moisture retention, lack of airflow ,remember that is very important in crawlspaces (unconditioned) to pests and vermin and even toss in there a health and safety issue...."if" a fire ever broke out you'd be dead before the smoke or flames got to you from the gasses of melting foam, hence the code issue.

I cannot help but go back my previous comments, crawlspaces were designed to breathe hence the foundation vents, that's what helps keep moisture and mold issues in check, I've worked in cralws with rising water where clients have installed sump pumps, these pumps along with a vapor barrier and good foundation vents keep the lumber's moisture content below 19%.
    I've also worked in old Victorian era basements with dirt floors, same issue here back in the day they didn't care about moisture often there was a boiler or at the least a coal storage, we add vents/windows, concrete floors and in most cases conditioned air, the area becomes 100% livable.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Well I'm going to start with putting the vapor barrier down properly as it should have been. Regardless of where I go from there, that is a needed step with any fix. I'm also going to look into the powered vents you suggested because it's obvious the humid air needs some help getting out of there be it with these vents or some other fix. Is there a make / model you'd suggest?
      This has been very helpful to me and I greatly appreciate all the time you've generously invested in this exchange.

Comment

Air Vent do a good reliable model.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =