Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehumidifier recomendation?

I live in the Chicago area in the midwest and have a finished basement that needs a Dehumidifier because it's extremely moist and musty. House is a ranch 1700 sq feet ground floor with basement.

I've been reading about them and it appears there are a at least several different kinds.

1) The portable appliance type refrigerant dehumidifier such as a whirlpool, Maytag etc..

2) A refrigerant dehumidifier you mount on your furnace

3) A desiccant dehumidifier you mount on furnace

4) A refrigerant dehumidifier that is more heavy duty and you can mount it over a sump pump well so that you don't need to change out the pan.

The Chicago area is hot in the summer time and cold in the winter.

I found one article that stated this:

A refrigerant dehumidifier with air conditioner is a best buy if you are in an area where the temperature during the year is mostly in the higher scale of the thermometer than in the lower scale. Refrigerant humidifier not only lowers the air humidity to 45%; it cools the air too during hot days. It helps climb up temperature without making the air too dry.

I found another article that stated this:

If you are, however, lives in a cool to freezing area, a desiccant dehumidifier will work for you best. A desiccant dehumidifier does not cool the air in the same way as a refrigerant dehumidifier does; it only controls the humidity level. But it controls the humidity automatically; lower it or put it up higher. It decreases humidity when the humidity is high (this is during hot or beginning of rainy days) and increases the humidity when it is too low, which is during crisp, windy or winter days, to make the atmosphere feel warmer.

My question?

1) Refrigerant humidifier or Desiccant dehumidifier for the Chicago area?

2) Which is best value and best to manage, the kind on the HVAC system or a portable one.

3) If I get one on the HVAC system, how does it differentiate between the upstairs and down stairs? I would imagine lot's of air flow moving around????

4) Any specific makes and models?

5) Any size recommendations?

Any other recommendations?
    Last edited by wak; 10-21-2007, 07:43 PM.

if you can afford the electric then a dehumidifier over a sump hole will work best for you. a dessicant type uses calcium chloride in a bag over a sump hole. it absorbs moisture in the air and drips this moisture into the sump hole for removal.
    Last edited by HayZee518; 10-21-2007, 11:18 PM. Reason: change chemical cmpd.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =