Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile home kerosene furnace won't kick on

Hi,
    I'm at my wits end. I have an older International furnace with an Eagle One (Wayne) burner. A few days ago, it would spray fuel into the firebox but it wouldn't ignite. Took everything apart, cleaned it all and tht didn't work, but a light sanding of the contacts on the electrodes and the springs on the transformer seemed to fix it. However, today it started not kicking on. It will work fine for a while, but then it just doesn't kick on without us hitting the reset on the relay box. I've cleaned everything it's possible to clean. Nothing is clogged. Nozzle is brand new as are the electrodes. The motor was replaced Nov 2007. The pump and relay box about 3 years ago give or take a year.
    It's COLD and I'd like to be able to go to sleep without waking up with frozen pipes and all that lovely stuff but I keep having to get up to reset the darn thing. Any suggestions?? Please!

Thanks
    Shar
    PS I stand corrected, it's back to not firing again. Not all the time, but once in a while...and the transformer feels overly hot to me....maybe I just need a new transformer?

the ignition transformer is supposed to generate about 7000 volts to jump that 1/4 inch gap. the position of the electrodes is slightly higher that the fan spray from the nozzle and pointed inward toward the nozzle. try stretching the springs on the bottom of the transformer so they make better contact with the backside of the spark gap conductors. worse case you might been a new transformer. have you cleaned the cad eye? this would cause the unit to go into lockout if a flame hasn't been detected.

Comment

Mobile home kerosene furnace won't kick on

Hi HayZee,
      Thanks for asnwering!
      Yes, I did clean the eye. I also cleaned and regapped the elctrodes. As far as the springs on the transformer, they're pretty stretched already, it's by no means a tight coil.
      This is a new thing, that combined with everything else, is leading me to the transformer........how hot to the touch should the transformer get during operation? I don't recall it ever being more than a little warm.....last night it was hot, almost to the point of umcomfortable to the touch.
      I have really rotten luck lately.....is it possible that I need a new eye AND a new transformer?

Today, I've only had to use the reset button a couple times, as opposed to about 10 times through the night. The only difference from yesterday to today is that I turned up the thermostat a little this morning....that wouldn't/shouldn't make a difference...would it?
      Last edited by Sharlene T; 02-13-2008, 02:30 AM. Reason: added "symptom"

Comment

Working...
      X
      =