Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat problem?

The last week or so we have noticed that the house gets cold because the heat isn't kicking on like it should. Out of curiosity I flipped the breaker off and then back on and the heat immediately kicked on. We are now having to flip it once or twice a day.

Could this possibly be a bad thermostat?

Thanks!
    Jim

is a newer one with circuit board??? if so you maybe just reseting it with your powering off and on... if it will not start look at it for blinking lights, there should be a chart that tells you what it means.
    Is it beer thirty??

Comment

Thanks, Bob! I will check that. I thought about it being the thermostat on my way to work this morning and I am hoping that it is something fairly simple. I think it does have a circuit board as the house is only about 10 years old. I will check it.

Thanks, again!

Comment

Heating Questions

Tell us some more info gas or electric? I'm assuming gas if so then your unit is going into lock out mode instead of turning the breaker off you need to look for the control board there should be a sight glass in the blower door and count the flash code then you will have to look at the legend on the wiring diagram and it will give you something to look for respond to this with that code and we can help
        Beer is not just for breakfast anymore...

Comment

thanks for that information, Mike. So far it seems that resetting the thermostat has worked, but if it gives any more problems I will try to find everything you mentioned and will be back.

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

just a long shot but if it is oil fired check the flame sense photocell. if this is dirty the unit will go into lockout. if gas check the thermocouple. this keeps the pilot valve open. if electric check the hi limits or a door not being closed in the blower section (filter door)

Comment

I have exactly the same question...

Could it be my thermostat? I have a 9 year old Rheem 90 Plus high-effeciency gas furnace that seems to cycle. The thermostat is a programmable digital Honeywell that I have programmed to set back at night. The problem is when the furnace turns back on early in the morning it seems to 'cycle'. The furnace will run for about 10 minutes, shut off to 2-3 minutes, and then turn back on for another 10 before shutting off again. I've noticed that the thermostat indicates that the system is 'on' even though the furnace if not running.

It's been doing this for 3 seasons. Last year and the year before I called 2 different HVAC companies and neither of them seemed to know what the problem was. They both disassembled a bunch of parts, but didn't find anything in particular wrong.

I've checked the gas pressure (gas company did that), and the electric (this furnace won't run if the electrical power polarity is wrong, and/or if it's not grounded.

The igniter is the electric glow type. It seems to light just fine.

Since the thermostat indicates that the system is 'on', but it's not, I was inclined to think the problem was the furnace. But, perhaps not. Any ideas?

Thanks! Daniel.

Comment

The way to tell if your t-stat is bad is to check for 24v at the control board between w and c terminals when your t-stat is calling for heat but furnace is not running.
                Last edited by hvacwiz; 02-28-2008, 07:03 PM.

Comment

24v

Many thanks. I will try and post my results. Thanks, Daniel.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =