Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole House Fans

Had them in our two previous houses, and want to install one in our current house- and am fluent in the pros con's, smoke detector risks, fireplace dust risks, and the great cool breeze it can create on those days where the afternoon gets a tiny bit warm, but you don't want to turn on the AC!

Here's the question: Does anyone have a make or model that they WOULD recommend using OR JUST AS WELL, have a make or model they would NOT reccommend. (And please tell WHY )

There's lots of models to choose from, including some at the big-box places, but I would like to get a good one that will be quieter and rattle less, as opposed to a cheapo that rattles, squeals, hums and wears out.

And, it's been hard to find any of this information, nor professionals with this kind of expertise.

Thanks.

IMO a direct drive would be better. A belt drive offers squeels from the belt, more bearings to worry about. Ensure that your gable vents are big enough to handle the air flow. If necessary built a high curb around your bracket.

Comment

Whole house fan....

Been thinking of ding similar here. Would it be advisable to locate the whole-house fan in the attic gable and place a gravity weighted slatted vent in the main hall ceiling?

Comment

I had a similar installation to do last year here in NY. I wasn't able to find a damper that would close by gravity. What I ended up doing is exactly what you stated. The fan was installed on a gable end with the louver pointed outside. Fan - ON louver - open. Fan - OFF, louver - closed. Ceiling registers were wide open for air flow. A suitable "dam" was made to keep insulation from flying into the room when there was no upward air flow.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcaptainbob View Post
          Been thinking of ding similar here. Would it be advisable to locate the whole-house fan in the attic gable and place a gravity weighted slatted vent in the main hall ceiling?
          I'd be concerned that ventilation under the eaves would defeat a moderate amount of the ability of the fan to pull air from the house.

Or is that not done where you are?

As to my original post- I am talking about fans that are installed horiztally immediately above thier slats which close by springs and gravity. Yes, good attic ventillation from roof vents, eave vents or gable vents exist.

Some say belt drive is better and quieter- (rubber dampening of electrical hums and motor vibrations from big metal blades), but I agree with hayzee, our last belt drive required regular belt lube to manage rubber squeals.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =