Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New AC not cool enough

Just had installed new 2 ton goodman and new 2 ton coil. Coldest air temp we can get right out of the coil is 65 with inside temp 75. Only thing I could think of is orfice size not right. Any ideas???

does the suction line, the larger tubing frost up? who did the calculation to determine the proper size of air conditioner unit? the orifice is engineered into the unit at its manufacture.

Comment

The return has plenty of moisture. It doesnt frost up. The installer says the pressures are perfect (200/70) on a 95 degree day and he doesnt know why it is not cooling like it should. The coil he got is not an exact match from goodman......it was one he got from a wholesaler that said is a 2 ton. He made no mods before installing thats why I think it has the wrong piston.

Comment

The house is a fairly tight 1 level 1400 sq. ft. house

Comment

Originally posted by dvantuyl View Post
          The house is a fairly tight 1 level 1400 sq. ft. house
          If it gets up to 95 outside degrees where you are at, in a 1400 sq. foot house,
          i would have used a 2-1/2 ton unit. Do you know how many CFM your blower is?
          How many hot air openings do you have? you are right, you have to match the orifice to the out side unit. You might have a 1-1/2 ton unit. Later Paul

Comment

I realize in a perfect world a 2 1/2 ton would of been preffered but this was cheap and was way better then what I had. Regardless, the air temp should be colder. I do not know the CFM but I did turn the blower speed down because it seemed like it was blowing alot harder then most-it did help but only a few degrees. I have 3 returns and they are free from restrictions.....had a dresser in front of one and moved it. The unit outside is for sure a 2 ton but the coil is not a goodman nor do I know if it is for sure a 2 ton (I realize tonnage on coil isnt usually an issue with proper valving). The installer brought it and said it will fit and it will work but just through it in without any changes or checks to the orfice.

Comment

call your installer back and have him put in the proper unit. seems like a fly by the crease in your pants organization.

Comment

Sizing an AC system too large for the building can have worse effects than sizing one too small.

Don't get fooled into thinking 'bigger is better' with AC. It isn't.

All things considered, if the unit is adequate and correctly installed, you have to look at other things for the source of your problems.

Like the insulation level of your attic ductwork if that is where it is located.

Are the ducts insulated to at least R-8 or more? If not they should be?

Did the installer conduct a duct 'blower test' to make sure there isn't excess air leakage into unconditioned attic or basement space?

I'd look at these items for problems before looking elsewhere.

Comment

500 square foot per ton, you are undersized, but you already know that.

From what you are saying it sounds as though the evaporator may be too large for the condensing unit. If the evap is too large, then the flash from high pressure to low pressure is used up in the lower parts of the evap. This causes the lower end of the evap to be cold with the upper end not being cold at all. The blower just mixes all of this and you end up with a system that doesn't cool well.
                  To check this, you can open up the evaporator case and see how much of the coil is cold.

Comment

Come on guys......undersizing just means its gonna run longer........it does not explain why the air temp right out of the coil is only 10 degrees drop. Thats what im trying to figure out...

Comment

Come on guys......undersizing just means its gonna run longer........it does not explain why the air temp right out of the coil is only 10 degrees drop. Thats what im trying to figure out...
                      Lee just gave you the answer to your problem

Comment

Ok well anyone have any ideas on what size orfice I need or where to get one?

Comment

You want it Explained, that is why i asked you size of furnace and blower,
                          and how many hot air openings. If you have a 1&1/2 or two ton coil, it it rated
                          to have 600 to 800 CFM of air going through it, then you would get a good temp drop across the coil. Now if you have a furnace that is moving 1200 CFM
                          of air because your have 12 or more hot air opening, then this little coil can not keep up with the blower, so you would only get a 10 degree drop across the coil. Not knowing what coil he used, what orifice he used, What your blower CFM
                          is, and what the CFM rating of your coil is, Its hard to check out his engineering. Later Paul

Comment

So in a nut shell...im screwed with the equip. I got

Comment

So in a nut shell...im screwed with the equip. I got
                              your case is something i hear i lot from people. I have tried to tell people for years that it is very important to check out your dealers before you pick or buy.
                              Picking a good dealer is more important than the brand of the equipment.
                              If you can prove the dealer did something wrong than you can call your inspector and go after him. The only was you can find out what the right orifice
                              is would to have the numbers off the coil and off the condenser and call the co.
                              that made the condenser. they could tell you. later paul

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =