Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• troubleshoot compressor

I was gone for 10 days, had the temp set to 81, and came back and the temp was 86, with both my blower motor fan and outside unit fan working. The temps won't lower at all. So, I presume a compressor issue? I couldn't find a sticky for troubleshooting it; is there a guide on how to troubleshoot the compressor (if that's indeed what I should do)? Thanks!

Okay, got it diagnosed as a rusted through accumulator. So I'm leaking freon, and he said that it needed replacement, and in order to get an accurate reading on the amount of freon needed, the air handler coils and blower had to be cleaned, at a several hundred dollar cost. He said a surface cleaning of them wasn't enough, and that even a small amount of accumulation on the coils/fans could cause the measurement of the amount of freon needed to be as much as 30% off. Of course, he recommended a new unit, as this one is 10 years old.

Does all of this sound correct? I said that I have muriatic acid for my pool, and asked if I'd be able to do the cleaning part. Again, he suggested that it was too much to do, and regardless, recommended the new unit. He works for a company, but said that if our credit isn't approved for a new unit, he did say he had a friend who could do the job of replacement of the accumulator, cleaning of the air handler, and injection of freon ($1,500 his price) for half as much.
    Any thoughts?

Comment

Sorry for the repeated updates. I've found some info online re: the cleaning of the coils and fins. Assuming I do that myself, does $1,260 seem right for replacing the accumulator and filling with refrigerant? I believe replacing the accumulator entails welding, which is beyond my capabilities. Thanks again.

Comment

Are you sure he didnt say a-coil, and the price sounds kind of high unless you live in a higher priced area.I just quoted a guy a price to replace the a-coil and recharge a unit for 800.00

Comment

Originally posted by jnaas2 View Post
          Are you sure he didnt say a-coil, and the price sounds kind of high unless you live in a higher priced area.I just quoted a guy a price to replace the a-coil and recharge a unit for 800.00
          No, definitely the accumulator. But I realized I also didn't mention that it's 410-A refrigerant; not sure how much of the price is that. He works for a company, though, and said he had a friend who would do it for half that if we didn't qualify for the loan to buy a new unit (which we didn't). So, likely the rate from an individual would be a lot less. I have another guy coming by in the morning to do a free quote on just the accumulator replacement and recharge it with 410-A. Another guy hasn't gotten back to me on the accumulator, but said he's charging $25 per lb. for 410-A. I think the original guy who diagnosed this said I had 30 or 40% left, fwiw.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJ View Post
            No, definitely the accumulator. But I realized I also didn't mention that it's 410-A refrigerant; not sure how much of the price is that. He works for a company, though, and said he had a friend who would do it for half that if we didn't qualify for the loan to buy a new unit (which we didn't). So, likely the rate from an individual would be a lot less. I have another guy coming by in the morning to do a free quote on just the accumulator replacement and recharge it with 410-A. Another guy hasn't gotten back to me on the accumulator, but said he's charging $25 per lb. for 410-A. I think the original guy who diagnosed this said I had 30 or 40% left, fwiw.
            Hi paul here. refrigerant 410-A is made up of two refrigerants mixed together.
            If you have a leak one of the refrigerants leaks out faster than the other. So you can not just add to it. You have to take the gas out and lose it and totally
            recharge the unit. Don't let anyone just add gas. Later Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul52446m View Post
              Hi paul here. refrigerant 410-A is made up of two refrigerants mixed together.
              If you have a leak one of the refrigerants leaks out faster than the other. So you can not just add to it. You have to take the gas out and lose it and totally
              recharge the unit. Don't let anyone just add gas. Later Paul
              Aahhh... Great. Thanks for that info! Interesting that the one guy didn't mention that when I said how much I had left. He just asked the size of the unit. Thanks again!

Comment

freon, even azeotropic mixes are going to be expensive. new and black market freon prices have sky-rocketed! what was once $45 for a 15lb tank has risen triple in cost. boiling points of gases are constant mixes of gases do boil off at different rates, so what Paul said is true. The whole system should be evacuated, have a vacuum drawn on it, checked for leaks and recharged using a charging cylinder and a scale. the compressor oil should be checked for being burnt and replaced. these oils are mineral based and moisture free. for cleaning the coil, acids are best but make sure the a coil drain pan is free and not plugged with dust and dirt. it must drain free to keep from making a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                  freon, even azeotropic mixes are going to be expensive. new and black market freon prices have sky-rocketed! what was once $45 for a 15lb tank has risen triple in cost. boiling points of gases are constant mixes of gases do boil off at different rates, so what Paul said is true. The whole system should be evacuated, have a vacuum drawn on it, checked for leaks and recharged using a charging cylinder and a scale. the compressor oil should be checked for being burnt and replaced. these oils are mineral based and moisture free. for cleaning the coil, acids are best but make sure the a coil drain pan is free and not plugged with dust and dirt. it must drain free to keep from making a mess.
                  Thanks much. I'm about to start cleaning; I got a wire gadget from HD for the fins, and some solvent that is non-acid-based. I hope that works okay.
                  The guy I was waiting for is coming after a cleaning service, so don't know yet on price, but thanks so much on the specifics re: the freon and oil!

And other tips, please let me know.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =