Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water heater inducer motor woes

I have a GSW direct vent water tank that has been operating flawlessly since installed new 2 yrs ago. Yesterday, it shut down, codes indicating a pressure/venting problem. I removed the flue (2 inch PVC, about a 13 ft run with 3 elbows) and tank worked again. No problem, I thought, blockage in the flue. I took it all apart, no blockages, and attached it back. Same problem. Took apart the blower motor, cleaned all the fins, ran a wire through the pressure switch port, tested the pressure switch and all looked ok. Hooked up 1/2 the flue, with all the elbows, tank still worked ok. Hooked up the other 1/2 exhausting to the outside, and it quit again. The second half is about 6 ft of pvc with a 45 degree on the exhaust end, with no rodent screen.
    I notice that with the inducer motor running, there really doesn't seem to be a lot of suction, ie a glop of spit on the end doesn't really get sucked in. but obviously it's enough because the pressure switch operates until the second half of the flue is hooked up....I'm at my wit's end...Any ideas anyone?? Thanks in advance.

is there a maximum length indicated in the installation instructions? a long exit run would indicate a back pressure of air, sort of like a dam preventing air from going out.

Comment

Maximum run is 50 ft, the 13 ft run I have with elbows is the equivalent of ~31 ft so it is well below the max. Plus the tank has been operating for the last 2 years with no problem.

Comment

Plus, I did verify the pressure with a manometer just after I posted, the vacuum is about 1" with the flue off, and about .1 " with the flue on (the pressure switch activates at .15) hence it works without the flue.

Comment

replaced inducer motor, tested it, 2 " without flue, .3 " with, tripped pressure switch, all is ok now.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =