Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Bathroom Fan

I'm remodeling a half bath. The cover for the old fan in there is unsightly and I want to replace it. The motor still works fine and vents properly. I'm guessing it is original to this 20 year old house.

I went to HD and purchased the only two covers they had to see if they would fit. Of course neither did. Either the design or the installation of this old fan is really poor in that the motor is actually below the ceiling line. The old cover has a half inch cavity so that the motor doesn't touch it. I also looked at the "Upgrade Kit" HD had and the motor won't fit into the existing housing.

What are my options? I really just want to replace the cover and avoid installing an entirely new unit. From the reading I've done it seems like a huge hassle. I have no attic access above this fan.

The old cover looks like this Nutone 682NT.
    Last edited by b1419771123; 12-05-2010, 05:06 PM. Reason: update

take the cover to an automotive body shop. they can sand blast it and apply a new acryllic paint and clearcoat it.

Comment

I don't like how you can see the motor and up into the fan. I would prefer slanted vents like you see on most modern fans.

Comment

You could hunt for hours online and still not find a replacement cover, the only hope you have is to look for the exact same unit (doubt you'll find one 20 years down the track though) and replace just the cover.
        They really are not all that difficult to change out, the biggest thing is the ceiling hole size, to make life easy you need to find one that is the same size or larger than the existing hole.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

eBay has one fan listed with that model number for ten bucks!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =