Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first post M441 combustion motor

Hello everyone,

Glad I found this site ! What great information and direction.

Ok- so I have a monitor 441 that the combustion fan motor sounds like a jet engine starting up. I see posts about changing the bearings is this a huge ordeal and where can I find the bearings ? My son in law is a HVAC service technician and pretty quick on most problems. Should I just replace the motor ?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by ncjaybird View Post
    Hello everyone,

Glad I found this site ! What great information and direction.

Ok- so I have a monitor 441 that the combustion fan motor sounds like a jet engine starting up. I see posts about changing the bearings is this a huge ordeal and where can I find the bearings ? My son in law is a HVAC service technician and pretty quick on most problems. Should I just replace the motor ?

Thanks in advance

The bearings are 608ZZ sealed bearings. The same bearing most inline skates and skate boards use. Go to ebay and search for inline skate or skateboard bearings and you'll find many sellers for them. I was recently looking myself and found 1 seller who was selling 8 bearings for $4.99 with free shipping. I've never changed the bearings, but from my understanding from others that have, you'll need a two jaw puller.
    Last edited by FordMan59; 01-11-2012, 03:54 PM.

Comment

the blower motor mounts in its housing with three screws and nuts. the motor itself is rivetted together in three places. you'll have to drill those rivets out and re-assemble with 6-32 X 1/2" screws, lockwashers and nuts. as stated use a two jaw puller. when installing the bearings don't hammer them on with a socket and mallet. make up something that will suspend the bearings [ one at a time] over a 150 watt standard bulb. heat the bearings so the inner race expands - about 15 minutes. use a kitchen hot mitt to handle the bearing and place over the shaft and hold till it cools, then do the other bearing.

Comment

M441 blower motor

A Monitor 441 blower motor is put together with screws. Yes you do need a puller to get the bearings off. You can make a bracket that fits under the bearing so you could tap it off. When you put the bearings on you should use some sort of bearing set glue. Before you get to the bearings you have to get the fans off the shaft. The nut on the motor shaft is left handed thread. Be sure to mark the blower case parts so they go back correctly. If you do the motor bearings you need to do the solenoid damper “O” ring as well. It acts as bumper on the shaft.

Tom

Comment

I think that sounds like a new fan/motor might be in order. I wonder if the whole assembly is one part ? (fan, blade, motor)

Comment

blower assembly

You may find a dealer somewhere that has one in stock from a while back. My dealer here in Bethel says they no longer sell the assembly. Use the web to find any and all dealers near your home. Try each one and if that does not work try EBAY. You can still buy a motor if nothing else works.

Tom

Comment

Depends what you want to spend. $175 for a new motor -or- $4.99 for eight new ball bearings.
              You still need to re-assemble the impeller and spacers on the new motor.

Comment

There's a rebuilt unit on ebay for $99.99 + $6.90 shipping, or you can do it yourself for under $5.

MONITOR HEATER 6348 COMBUSTION MOTOR (REBUILT) | eBay

Comment

do it yourself

As HayZee mentioned, even if you get a new or rebuilt motor you still have to completely disassemble the blower to get it in and out. Why not go the one step further and just replace the bearings in the old motor. If you have the skills or drive to tackle a Monitor blower overhaul, just do the whole job yourself. You will be more informed about your heater and save some money to boot. If you are not handy with tools, give the job to a heater mechanic. It only takes about an hour or so for someone knows what they are doing to do the whole thing.

Tom

Comment

Are the o-rings mentioned standard off the shelf rubber o-rings ?

We are predicted to get some 20 degree weather for the next day or two with chance of snow tonight here in Western NC, so I think will will hold on taking the heater apart tonight.

Comment

Oh- I should ask, do the symptoms I mentioned sound like bad bearings ? The whiring noise starts when the thermostat calls for heat and starts slow and builds as the fan speed increases.

Comment

the combustion blower is the first and last motor to start and/or shut down. bearings going bad make the whining noise.

Comment

I have plenty of combustion motors if anyone needs one, be glad to put new bearings in it before send it out. (they are not free)

Can include a damper o-ring if you need one as well. I always replace the damper o-ring when I put new bearings in.

Comment

I have been a Monitor dealer for 25 years and yes much cheaper to replace bearings than buying a new motor, it takes about one hour to do the job, I am able to get all parts for Monitors. The bearings can be bought at any bearing house. If you have any qestions you can e-mail at grayfox@mtaonline.net

Comment

I do have a large number of combustion motors for 40, 41 and 441 ( all the same ). Contact me if you need one - new bearings will be installed.

You should also replace the damper o-ring while your working on your combustion motor. Most I have seen have lost the o-ring or its cracked
                              and half missing.

Would be glad to supply a o-ring if you need a motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =