Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor Heater Model 41

Still alive and kicking and so it the heater, turned out to be the burn mat.

Got busy with the garden and lawn work etc.

Comment

was it one of the after market mats, or what did you decipher was going on?
      oh good to see you alive we thought you may have froze haha

Comment

msearcher,

To satisfy my own curiosity and for the benefit of other users, how did you determine that the burn mat was the problem ? Was it a material from Mc master carr or did you did you use a factory replacement ?
        did the adhesive not hold or what was the problem.
        i'm not trying to intentionally put you on the spot but in the interest of helping folks out i was wondering what had happened.

Thanks Dan

Comment

update

Sorry Guys

I just assumed it was the burn mat, not really sure what the issue is as it has not
          gone away..

Just took it back apart last week and swaped with spare parts

burn pot with new burn mat / burn ring
          combustion motor assembly with another

Still acts the same, new bearings, damper o-ring and everything acts
          like its not getting enough air.

I will check the air tube under the heater and make sure nothing is stuck in it but she is
          still acting the same and have replaced just about everything I can think of.

If I can't figure it out I will keep it as a parts machine

Comment

old M41

Since the unit is a M41 it is probably 25 years old. With units that old you need to check several things. The heat exchanger has to be removed and the outlet adapter removed for cleaning. Wash, scrape, and blow out the exchanger. Take notice of the area below the outlet adapter. It will probable be full of carbon. The flue pipe needs to be looked at for holes in the exhaust pipe. You can see this area if you remove the air cap and flex hose. Also look at the tip of the exhaust to be sure there are no holes at the centering brackets. Lastly, you need to prove the fuel pump fuel flow on all settings. You will need flame sensor by pass and a calibrated cup. More than likely you will only be ably to check the High and Low settings. On High you should get .319 GPH. On Low you should see .12 GPH.
            You need to see that the pump is cutting out completely when it should. This will be enough to get an idea if the controller is within spec..
            The bad part is if the pump is out of spec, it could be hard to find one. A Monitor 41 is a very old unit and you may find it is not economically repairable. New burner, burner ring, blower assembly, with all the gaskets as well as a fuel pump or main circuit board will run more than a brand new Toyostove. Since Monitor is no longer making their units it may be time to switch brands.

Tom

Comment

thank you Tom

Comment

Working...
              X
              =