Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 422 capsule tank

I've got 2 capsule tanks for use in the 422 and sometimes instead of allowing the kerosene to flow freely from the tank to the heater reservoir they create a vacuum within the tank and the only way to release the vacuum is either take the top off and allow air in or turn the tank upright and push the fuel release valve allowing air to get in the tank. Today I've tried both capsule tanks and both continue to create a vacuum within the tank and about every 1/2 hour or so the alarm goes off saying the heater is empty. I remove the tank release the vacuum and replace it and it allows the heater reservoir to refill, but again in about 1/2 hour it does the same thing. Anyone else ever ran into this problem or have any idea why they are doing this? Is there a vent hole somewhere that's supposed to allow air to get into the tank that I'm not seeing that could be clogged? The tanks are not overfilled. I've had this problem occasionally for a few years, but usually within a short period of time it corrects itself, but today it's been doing this ever since about 9AM when I refilled the tanks.
    Last edited by FordMan59; 11-26-2013, 02:15 PM.

Capsule tank venting system

Be sure the little part that sticks up in the screen is there. It should be about 3/4 inch. Also the screen has to be very clean. There is no vent on the tank itself.

Tom

Comment

Earlier this afternoon I removed the rubber seal on the tank lid and cleaned it good then took a paper towel and wiped out the reservoir filter/screen and it's been running OK since. The screen didn't look dirty but maybe that was the problem. What would be the best thing to use to clean the filter/screen to be sure it's as clean as possible? Would carburetor cleaner hurt the filter/screen?

Comment

Capsule tank filter

You can clean it with carb cleaner or any brake clean. The real trouble is the fact you are transferring fuel from one container to another all the time. All tanks in the process have to be clean. Non can be left outside, particularly with the top off. The capsule tank is in a chamber that will collect dust and fall into the filter area each time. The whole process is a mess. If you spill any fuel around you have a smell that is hard to get rid of. If it's at all possible I would hook up to an outside tank with a good filter.

Tom

Comment

I had the heater on an outside fuel source when I lived in NC, but when I moved to KY in the fall of 2010 I didn't have time to get a tank and set it up before winter and just never have done it. There are no oil/fuel suppliers I can find in the area where I live that sells #1 heating oil. I called an oil/fuel supplier recently to check the cost of buying K1 in bulk and found out I could buy it cheaper at the gas station ($4.189) than I could have it delivered in bulk.

Comment

Off Road Diesel.

In NH, Off Road Diesel is the same as Red Dyed Kerosene. It is 50 cents cheaper per gallon. Sometimes more. Right now, Off Road is $3.399 a gallon and Red Dyed Kerosene is $3.999. Bulk deliveries are hard to get, too. A lot of small outfits have closed up in the last few years. I have 2 outside tanks. 275 gallons each. Neither has been in service for a couple of years. It would cost over 1600 bucks to put 500 gallons in them. Crazy.

Get a good filtered funnel and use it. The next time you have a problem with the screen, siphon out as much kero as you can out of the sump. Then drain what you can out of the brass screw next to the sump filter access. Use a bunch of paper towels and somehow get into the sump and start wiping. Get deep into the corners. You will be amazed at how much crud you pull out. Keep going untill no more crud shows up on the towels. Then, spray your carb cleaner up into the where the brass screw was removed. Then, do it again. Use as much carb cleaner as you can. Let it dry, put it back together and you will think you have a new heater. Good luck.

Comment

Off Road Diesel/K1

Originally posted by pythons37 View Post
              In NH, Off Road Diesel is the same as Red Dyed Kerosene.
              Would others help me find out if this is the case with off road diesel in all states or not. I'm pretty sure I can find off road diesel since I live in an area that's got a lot of farm land and farming is much of the local economy. I know the farmers wouldn't be paying road tax on their fuel that they're using in their tractors and combines. I know several farmers who farm hundreds of acres so I could find out where they get their off road fuel. I found one site that said it was the same thing as #1 heating oil and another that said it's #2 diesel with dye added. I certainly don't want to use the wrong fuel in the Monitor, but if I can get something just as good as K1 for $.50-$.75 cheaper I'm all for it, this would be a great incentive to purchase an outside fuel tank and set it up. I used to buy dyed fuel in NC that was labeled kerosene so I'm not sure whether they are the same in all areas or not.
              Last edited by FordMan59; 11-28-2013, 01:51 AM.

Comment

kerosene

the only real way to find out if your fuel is compatible (i.e. regular un-dyed or dyed kerosene) would be to check its specific gravity using a hydrometer.
                you're looking for a range of between .79 and .82.
                diesel and biofuels will be way out of this range.
                I never heard of off road diesel.
                diesel burns hotter than kerosene and you'll burn up your unit. it'll never work again. mind you the cost of these things $1800-$2000 for a 2400!

Comment

difference between

I checked a site for off road diesel and road diesel and here is what it says:

Where can you purchase "off road diesel" in Massachusetts...
                  There is number 1 off road diesel and number 2 off road diesel fuel, as well as number one road fuel and number two, that is a temperature... more...

Whats the Difference between Highway Diesel and off road...
                  Off road diesel and highway diesel are the exact same product. #2 fuel oil (heating oil) is also the same product. Some is low sulfur, some is... more...

Is off road deisel the same as home heating oil?
                  No, but it could very well be used to heat your home in an oil burning furnace. Off road diesel contains more sulfur, which adds lubrication... more...

Can off road diesel hurt your truck in the long run?
                  Off road diesel is exactly the same as on road diesel. Off road diesel is dyed red and has no road tax (fuel tax) paid on it. That's why it's... more..

So be safe and used bona fide K-1 dyed or undyed kerosene. Don't destroy your heater because someone says anything different!

Comment

fuels

off road diesel you don't pay road use taxes on.
                    regular diesel you do.
                    red dyed fuel isn't special. it can be purple colored, the engine don't care.

K-1 on the other hand is a low sulphur product

Comment

Off Road Diesel

I specifically stated that I was using New Hampshire Off Road Diesel. It is K-1 loaded at the rack, at the terminal, into a transport truck. Then, it is driven a few yards to a station where the Red Dye is added. It is NOT Diesel with dye in it. The process takes about one hour to complete. Much longer than normal loading time. The two heaters burning in my house right now were purchased in 1986 and have been in service, ever since.

Comment

off road

what is the specific gravity of your fuel?

Comment

off road

here are specific gravities of three products:
                          ULTRA LOW SULPHUR DIESEL = .0054 @ 60F
                          LOW SULPHUR = .84 @ 60F
                          K-1 KEROSENE = .82 @ 60F

You guys make up your own mind which to use in your heater. The heater manufacturer made a statement. It is your option to follow THAT guide.
                          If you burn something up, of jam something, don't come screaming here! - HayZee.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                            here are specific gravities of three products:
                            ULTRA LOW SULPHUR DIESEL = .0054 @ 60F
                            LOW SULPHUR = .84 @ 60F
                            K-1 KEROSENE = .82 @ 60F

You guys make up your own mind which to use in your heater. The heater manufacturer made a statement. It is your option to follow THAT guide.
                            If you burn something up, of jam something, don't come screaming here! - HayZee.
                            I have no intentions of changing fuels unless I know it's fuel that's safe and will not hurt the function of the heater. I was just trying to find out whether there was another safe alternative to the K1 that is so expensive in this area.

Comment

RE: CAPSULE TANK make sure you dont overfill

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =