Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heatmaker Plus HW pressure relief valve

Here is my issue:
    I had the pressure relief valve replaced due to it leaking by.

New valve has same problem but I'm thinking the valve is functioning properly but the tank is actually pressurizing to 31psi causing the valve to open (Rated for 30 psi).

I have found information about the temperature high and low cutoffs for the burner but there is nothing in the manual indicating normal operating psi levels.

So my questions are as follows:
    1) What is the normal psi range for the tank.
    2) Is there a way to lower the psi in the tank(lowering temperature)
    3) is there a possibility that one of the control components is going bad?

Furnace heats my house and generates hot water just fine and I'm not looking to replace it anytime soon I just want the pressure relief to stop lifting.

Originally posted by CaptnExcitement View Post
    Here is my issue:
    I had the pressure relief valve replaced due to it leaking by.

New valve has same problem but I'm thinking the valve is functioning properly but the tank is actually pressurizing to 31psi causing the valve to open (Rated for 30 psi).

I have found information about the temperature high and low cutoffs for the burner but there is nothing in the manual indicating normal operating psi levels.

So my questions are as follows:
    1) What is the normal psi range for the tank.
    2) Is there a way to lower the psi in the tank(lowering temperature)
    3) is there a possibility that one of the control components is going bad?

Furnace heats my house and generates hot water just fine and I'm not looking to replace it anytime soon I just want the pressure relief to stop lifting.
    You are saying this is a heat maker? Is this a boiler thats heats the house with a with a boiler mate water heater tied to it. You said 30 lbs relief so i assuming it a boiler. Let boiler cool down, turn off water feed valve. drain water just enough to get the pressure down to about 10 lbs. then open water feed valve and see if the pressure comes . Should not be more than 10 to 16 lbs. on cold start. If pressure comes up too hi when cold then your feed valve is bad. You have a expansion tank that should let the water ex pan in to as the water is being heated. If you take all the pressure off the system then you can check the air pressure in the expansion tank, should be 12 lbs.. If the tank is clear full of water than you have to replace it. this can cause your problem. paul

Comment

Paul,
      Secured feed valve, reduced pressure in tank then opened feed valve psi returned to 14. Good to go here.

Took pressure off system completely and checked psi on expansion tank, less than the gauge would read and the valve appears to be bleeding air. I think that pretty much narrows down the problem. I'm going to bring the psi up to 12 and see if the valve stem cap will hold the pressure in for now. Will eventually have to replace the expansion tank though.

Should the tank be empty with no pressure on the system?

Appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptnExcitement View Post
        Paul,
        Secured feed valve, reduced pressure in tank then opened feed valve psi returned to 14. Good to go here.

Took pressure off system completely and checked psi on expansion tank, less than the gauge would read and the valve appears to be bleeding air. I think that pretty much narrows down the problem. I'm going to bring the psi up to 12 and see if the valve stem cap will hold the pressure in for now. Will eventually have to replace the expansion tank though.

Should the tank be empty with no pressure on the system?

Appreciate the feedback.
        Yes when you take the pressure off the system there should be no water in tank,
        and thats when you put the 12 lbs of air into the tank. If the air leaks out then you get too much water and then you will build too much pressure.
        later paul

Comment

Working...
        X
        =