Replace whole Central Air system or just lines?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ppelkowski
    New Member

    • Jul 2011
    • 1

    #1

    Replace whole Central Air system or just lines?

    I have a freon leak in my 9yr old system. I think this may have been caused by the concrete pad the outside condensor sits on, sank in the front after the house settled. My maintenance service says I need to replace the whole system. My question is, can I just have the freon lines replaced or repaired? I have had several quotes for new systems and they range between 7K and 9.5K. Thats quite a financial commitment. Is it just a matter of finding a tech that will fix the problem or are they being on the level with me or do I need to replace a 9yr old system.

    Pat
  • paul52446m
    Journeyman

    • Nov 2009
    • 690

    #2
    Originally posted by ppelkowski
    I have a freon leak in my 9yr old system. I think this may have been caused by the concrete pad the outside condensor sits on, sank in the front after the house settled. My maintenance service says I need to replace the whole system. My question is, can I just have the freon lines replaced or repaired? I have had several quotes for new systems and they range between 7K and 9.5K. Thats quite a financial commitment. Is it just a matter of finding a tech that will fix the problem or are they being on the level with me or do I need to replace a 9yr old system.

    Pat
    If it were mine i would repair it. If it is fixed properly you might get another 10 years out of it. I can't see your damage, but if it just damaged the line out side, take it apart, put a few feet of new copper in there, pull vacuum, check for leaks, recharge. One man, one days work, two days max. maybe $650.00 with new pad, gas, and labor. But i would guess the rip off guys will try for a lot more. I would have to see it first. Paul

    Comment

    • HayZee518
      Deity

      • Jul 2004
      • 8746

      #3
      the tubing can be repaired. EASTMAN makes a tubing expander so you can splice new to old tubing without copper fittings. SIL-PHOS is a lower temperature brazing rod and less expensive than silver solder.

      Comment

      Trending

      Collapse

      • hawkins111
        Laser 730 over firing
        by hawkins111
        Has anyone had an occurrence of a Laser 730 or 731 over firing?
        The top of the heat chamber and the heat exchanger glow red on high when this occurs....
        11-12-2024, 10:29 AM
      • 911Restoration
        Fireplace Woes
        by 911Restoration
        Lit our fireplace for the first time this season last night and the whole living room filled with smoke, alarm went off. Chimney was cleaned last year...
        09-22-2026, 03:14 PM
      Working...