Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contactor Bad?

ok, so over the weekend, i noticed the AC wasn't blowing cold air. opened unit up, and the contactor is not "kicking on". i can hold it in, cold air blows fine. i replaced the thermostat thinking it was bad and not sending a signal to the contact to engage compressor and fan. didn't fix. compressor, fan, everything works but contactor. looking at the contactor, it looks great, not burned out or anything. is there anything else i need to look for? is it possible the contactor is bad or is something else tied to that to make the contactor not engage?

check for voltage on the two coil terminals if you have the correct voltage shut off power and remove the two coil wires and check for continuity on same two terminals. if no continuity, replace contactor if no voltage on coil terminals back trace im assuming you have wiring diagram ?

Comment

compressor contactor

mostly all a/c control relays and contactors are 24 volt. allis chalmers is a manufacturer. gould may be another. operating coils are normally not replaceable but larger ones are in larger contactors. check it out like dfitz says. use an analog multimeter. digital ones are too sensitive.

Comment

digital meter should be just fine been using one for years

Comment

Working...
        X
        =