Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longevity Question

I have a 2007 L73. It had a replacement Burner Pot & Burner Ring in 2014. In December it will be 19 yrs old. I was contemplating a rebuild this summer of a new Mat and Burner Ring. However after setting in on today's Toyotomi on-line class where it was said that the chimneys should be replaced about every 12 yrs or so due to internal corrosion leaking exhaust into the fresh air intake tube AND references to maybe thinking about replacing the unit vs rebuilding in the 12 - 15 yr range.
    So Hawkins, please chime in here with your recommendations. My L73 has not given me any problems, save for the Bee incident necessitating the pot and ring replacement, in 19 yrs., so it surely doesn't owe me anything.

Greg

Your L73 is worth rebuilding. Even if it is a little expensive, it is still worth the money. A new L730 is over $2500, where a rebuilt could be as little as $150.

Toyo does recommend replacing the exhaust if the unit has been in service for a long time. An Exhaust flue pipe costs about $170. You may need to make an adjustment for the different size of the new style flue, depending on how old your stove and flue are.

Here in
    Alaska a Laser 73 that has not been service a long time can need a lot of parts. If your stove is only used sparingly it may need only limited work. A 19 year old stove will more than likely need a blower motor and a new mat and ring. If it has been running hot for some reason it may need an igniter.

As you stated, the stove does not owe you anything after 19 years. I would say, rebuild it.

Keep us posted.

Comment

The L73 is the main house heat with the smaller units, L300 in the mud room in sub 20F cold weather and the L302 in the Kitchen for those -30F nights with a 35 mph wind out of the north! The exhaust is vintage 2007, original unit. When you say blower motor are you talking the back fan or the exhaust blower?

Comment

I'm refering to the exhaust blower motor. The circulating fan motor has much bigger bearings and seems to last a long time.

Comment

Given that your Toyotomi L73 has been reliable for nearly 19 years and only had a significant issue once, a rebuild with new parts might still be a good option if everything else is in decent shape. However, considering the age of the unit and potential internal chimney corrosion, investing in a new, more efficient model could provide long-term savings and advanced features. It might be worth having a professional inspect both your current setup and potential replacement options to make the best choice for your needs and budget.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =